I often get questions around when, where and why an organization would use Power BI Premium. In general, my guidance is to NOT use Premium for the information workers in your organization. Time has shown that this model is more expensive and introduces more risk than providing your information workers (e.g. those that already use any part of the Microsoft Office suite on a regular basis) access to Power BI with a “Power BI Pro” license.
However, there are some very compelling use cases for Power BI Premium, including:
- Dedicated resources (versus shared)
- Support for larger imported datasets
- Support for paginated reports (i.e. RDL or SSRS reports)
- Support for incremental refresh
- Unlimited content secure content sharing
- and more